Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Feel the Love, an Italian Christmas Eve


In the infamous words of The Beatles, “All you need is love, love is all you need,” the lyric instills an even greater impact on a holiday.  It is the time to gather and share with the people we love most.  Italian tradition may argue in addition to the great sentiment shared all over the world by those very words, you also need some great food! 

On La Vigilia (Christmas Eve) a coveted tradition Italian’s share is a seven fish dinner with family and friends.  The Feast of the Seven Fishes originated from a partial fast during which no meat is served in honor of the night Jesus was born, a typical reflection in the Roman Catholic Church.  Beyond the religious symbolism the night is now long captured by enjoying lavish amounts of seafood. 


Baccala
The fishes typically consist of a variety of shellfish preparations such as mussels, clams, and shrimp while other dishes may include calamari and anchovies. Many of the fishes are prepared with numerous incorporations of other Italian foods such as homemade pasta. Two staples of the Feast of the Seven Fishes are Baccala, a salted cod fish and baked eel.  Baked eel is not as distinct upon the Italian American versions of the dinner, but it is easily accessible through a local fishmonger who will skin and gut the eel upon request making it a simple recipe thereafter.  The fishmonger is the resource for recipes and preparations for the seafood dishes.  For a simple guide and menu suggestions a quick Google search of “The Feast of the Seven Fishes” will produce both recipes strict to adhering to tradition and others with interpretations of the meal that may seem more suitable for enjoyment of those adventurers trying or sharing the meal for the first time.

The celebratory Italian Christmas Eve dinner is a true food centric annual occasion that springs a feast of delight through to Christmas day.  Antipasti (hold the meat) and aperitif are up to the creation of the host that can vary on cheese, olives, and roasted vegetables and a drink of choice.  Serving the meal with an Italian white wine from a southern region such as the Amalfi coast is a commonly recommended pairing.  Serve an after dinner drink featuring limoncello, a lemon liqueur from Campania, served with espresso and a sweet dessert (gelato!) for an exceptional way to cap the evening.
 
The Feast of the Seven Fishes certainly does boast a spread that harbors all the love across a bountiful table and fills up all, needing nothing else on that special evening. 

 

There are so many Italian foods that are a lasting tradition over the holidays.  A Pino Gelato location in Marietta, Georgia has been participating in a 12 days of Christmas contest amongst businesses in Marietta Square and featured “Italian Style” as their theme. Shop owner Barbara Jostworth sums up all of the other Italian foodie delights of Christmas in the wonderful poem she created:


The 12 Days of Christmas Italian Style:

On the first day of Christmasmy true love gave to me: Pino Gelato at every meal

On the second day of Christmasmy true love gave to me: Panettone cake on my plate with Pino Gelato at every meal

On the third day of Christmas… my true love gave to me: Tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate with Pino Gelato at every meal

On the fourth day of Christmas… my true love gave to me a Sparkling Prosecco, tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, with Pino Gelato at every meal

On the fifth day of Christmas… my true love gave to me:  Honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, a tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, and Pino Gelato at every meal

On the sixth day of Christmas… my true love gave to me: Hearty lasagna, a honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, Tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, and Pino Gelato at every meal

On the seventh day of Christmas… my true love gave to me: glazed pistachios, hearty lasagna, honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate and Pino Gelato at every meal

On the eighth day of Christmas… my true love gave to me: Baci Italian chocolates, glazed pistachios, hearty lasagna, honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate and Pino Gelato at every meal

On the ninth day of Christmas… my true love gave to me; an aged prosciutto, Baci Italian chocolates, glazed pistachios, hearty lasagna, a honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, and Pino Gelato at every meal

On the tenth day of Christmas… my true love gave to me a tangy bruschetta, honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, and Pino Gelato at every meal

On the 11day of Christmas my true love gave to me a lovely linguini, a tangy bruschetta, Honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco, tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, and Pino Gelato at every meal
On the 12th day of Christmas… my true love gave to me a beautiful Feast of Seven Fishes… (La Vigilia), a lovely linguine, Tangy Bruschetta, honey almond Torrine, a sparkling Prosecco,  tortellini Bologna, Panettone on my plate, and Pino Gelato at every meal
 
Buon NatalE! Merry Christmas and Buon Appetito!
From Pino Gelato/Marietta Square






No comments:

Post a Comment